Free datepicker web app helps insert dates in cells easily
If you manage time tables, schedules, to-do-lists, etc. in Excel – you know that entering dates in cells can take unjustified amount of time. Don’t you wish for a handy datepicker? Something simple, straightforward, always at hand?
XLTools.net Calendar app does exactly that:
- Intuitive in use – click on the cell, then the date
- Displays week numbers, highlights current date
- Embed into Excel templates and share with colleagues
- As a web-based Office Add-in doesn’t require installation
- FREE and available in Microsoft Office Store
XLTools.net Calendar is built on Microsoft platform. MS Office Add-ins (formerly known as Office Apps) work across Excel Online, Excel 2016 and Excel 2013 desktop, Excel for iPad, Excel for Mac.
Learn your way around:
- How to add the Calendar for Excel from the Office Store
- How to insert a date in a cell from the Calendar add-in
- How to change the date format of the Calendar add-in
- How to move the Calendar on a spreadsheet
- How to embed the Calendar datepicker into Excel sheet
- How to make the Calendar add-in drop down near a cell
How to add the Calendar for Excel from the Office Store
Download the add-in from the Office Store, or directly from Excel interface:
- Open Excel > Insert tab > In the Add-ins group click ‘Store’ or ‘Office Add-ins’.
- Search for XLTools Calendar in the Store > It is free, so just click ‘Add’.
- The Calendar will appear on the sheet. Drag and place the form as you wish.
Note: you should be singed in to your Microsoft account to manage products and subscriptions:
File > Account > User Information > Sign in.
How to insert a date in a cell from the Calendar add-in
- To insert a date, click on the cell and pick the date from the Calendar.
- To change a date, click on the cell with a date and pick a new date.
- Click on the cell with a date and this date gets highlighted in the Calendar.
- Flip to previous/next month using navigation arrows.
- To change month/year, click on the month/year and select.
How to change the date format of the Calendar add-in
XLTools.net Calendar add-in uses the date format set in your default systems settings.
- Change the date format as usual in Excel:
Select cells > Format cells > Number tab > Date > Choose the format you need > OK.
- Or, change your system settings:
Control Panel > Clock, Language, and Region > Region > Set the date and time format > OK.
How to move the Calendar on a spreadsheet
XLTools.net Calendar is a content pane app. Drag and move it around Excel sheet just like a shape.
- To remove the Calendar add-in from the sheet:
Select the Calendar (click on the borders) > Hit the ‘Delete’ key.
- To have the Calendar visible while you scroll down a large table:
Freeze or split panes (available for desktop Excel). Then you can scroll down the table in one area and access the Calendar in the other area.
How to embed the Calendar datepicker into Excel sheet
XLTools.net Calendar is a web-based application. It means you can insert the add-in to Excel sheet – and share the file with colleagues or other users.
It is a handy when you want to embed a calendar datepicker in Excel templates, forms, schedules, time tables, etc.
How to make the Calendar add-in drop down near a cell
You cannot make the XLTools.net Calendar add-in hide or appear just for certain cells.
But check out our desktop add-in Popup Calendar (requires installation). It is a drop-down datepicker with wider functionality. Give it a try if you need something more advanced: e.g. inserting dates (or date and time) into merged cells, columns, rows or custom ranges in one click.
Read more on the difference between Office Add-ins and desktop version.
Any questions or suggestions? Contact us or leave your comment below.