Compare Excel columns and identify matching columns
Comparing Excel columns, you may want to know whether the columns are identical – or how much similar or different they are. It becomes a difficult task to perform manually.
XLTools.net Columns Match app answers those questions:
- Match columns against each other
- Match columns against benchmark values
- Results in a crosstab table are easy to interpret
XLTools.net Columns Match is built on Microsoft platform. MS Office Add-ins (also known as Office Apps) work across Excel Online, Excel 2016 and Excel 2013 desktop, Excel for iPad, Excel for Mac.
Learn your way around:
- How to add the Columns Match App for Excel from the Office Store
- How to compare and match Excel columns
- Does the Export to CSV Office Add-in work offline
How to add the Columns Match App for Excel from the Office Store
Download the add-in from the Office Store website, or directly from Excel interface:
- Open Excel > Insert tab > In the Add-ins group click ‘Store’ or ‘Office Add-ins’.
- Search for XLTools Columns Match in the Store > It is free, so just click ‘Add’.
- The add-in’s task pane will appear on the sheet. Drag and place it as you wish.
Note: you should be singed in to your Microsoft account to manage products and subscriptions:
File > Account > User Information > Sign in.
How to compare and match Excel columns
Follow the steps on the app’s pane:
- Step 1. Click ‘Select’ > Select the target columns you want to match, including headings.
- Step 2. Select a starting cell for the output table.
- Step 3. Optional: if you want to match your target columns against benchmark columns, select the range of benchmark (standard) columns, including headings. Otherwise, skip this step.
- Step 4. Select ‘Show % of matching’ to show the level of similarity as a match percentage. 100% match means the columns are identical.
Or, select ‘Show True/False’ to identify only identical columns. ‘True’ stands for 100% identical columns.
- Click ‘Match Columns’ > The crosstab table is generated.
Tip: use Excel conditional formatting to apply a color scheme to the resulting table.
Done! Now it is evident that Products 1 and 3 are very similar (99%), and Product 2 is identical to Standard 2 (100%).
Does the Export to CSV Office Add-in work offline
Online Office add-ins require Internet connection.
But check out our desktop Columns Match (requires installation). It has similar functionality, and it also works offline.
Read more on the difference between online Office Add-ins and desktop version.Any questions or suggestions? Please leave your comment below.