Compare Excel columns and identify matching columns
Comparing Excel columns, you may want to know whether the columns are identical – or how much similar or different they are. It becomes a difficult task to perform manually.
XLTools.net Columns Match app answers those questions:
- Match columns against each other
- Match columns against benchmark values
- Results in a crosstab table are easy to interpret
XLTools.net Columns Match is built on Microsoft platform. MS Office Add-ins (formerly known as Office Apps) work across Excel Online, Excel 2016 and Excel 2013 desktop, Excel for iPad, Excel for Mac.
Learn your way around:
- How to add the Columns Match Add-in for Excel from the Office Store
- How to compare and match Excel columns
- Does the Export to CSV Office Add-in work offline
How to add the Columns Match Add-in for Excel from the Office Store
Download the add-in from the Office Store website, or directly from Excel interface:
- Open Excel > Insert tab > In the Add-ins group click ‘Store’ or ‘Office Add-ins’.
- Search for XLTools Columns Match in the Store > It is free, so just click ‘Add’.
- The add-in’s task pane will appear on the sheet. Drag and place it as you wish.
Note: you should be singed in to your Microsoft account to manage products and subscriptions:
File > Account > User Information > Sign in.
How to compare and match Excel columns
Follow the steps on the add-in’s pane:
- Step 1. Click ‘Select’ > Select the target columns you want to match, including headings.
- Step 2. Select a starting cell for the output table.
- Step 3. Optional: if you want to match your target columns against benchmark columns, select the range of benchmark (standard) columns, including headings. Otherwise, skip this step.
- Step 4. Select ‘Show % of matching’ to show the level of similarity as a match percentage. 100% match means the columns are identical.
Or, select ‘Show True/False’ to identify only identical columns. ‘True’ stands for 100% identical columns.
- Click ‘Match Columns’ > The crosstab table is generated.
Tip: use Excel conditional formatting to apply a color scheme to the resulting table.
Done! Now it is evident that Products 1 and 3 are very similar (99%), and Product 2 is identical to Standard 2 (100%).
Does the Export to CSV Office Add-in work offline
Office add-ins require Internet connection.
But check out our desktop Columns Match (requires installation). It has similar functionality, and it also works offline.
Read more on the difference between Office Add-ins and desktop version.
Any questions or suggestions? Please leave your comment below.