Clean data in Excel cells before analysis
After you paste or import external data to Excel, you may need to clean the data from redundant spaces, line breaks or non-printing symbols. If you work with bulk data, manual cell-by-cell changes take long painstaking hours.
XLTools.net Data Cleaning app will prepare your data in just a few clicks:
- Trim extra spaces, remove line breaks and non-printing characters
- Change text to Proper Case, Sentence case, lower case or UPPER CASE
- Convert text to numbers, or numbers to text
XLTools.net Data Cleaning is built on Microsoft platform. MS Office Add-ins (formerly known as Office Apps) work across Excel Online, Excel 2016 and Excel 2013 desktop, Excel for iPad, Excel for Mac.
Learn your way around:
- How to add the Data Cleaning Add-in for Excel from the Office Store
- How to clean data in Excel and prepare for further analysis
- Does the Data Cleaning Office Add-in work offline
How to add the Data Cleaning Add-in for Excel from the Office Store
Download the add-in from the Office Store website, or directly from Excel interface:
- Open Excel > Insert tab > In the Add-ins group click ‘Store’ or ‘Office Add-ins’.
- Search for XLTools Data Cleaning in the Store > It is free, so just click ‘Add’.
- The add-in’s task pane will appear on the sheet. Drag and place it as you wish.
Note: you should be singed in to your Microsoft account to manage products and subscriptions:
File > Account > User Information > Sign in.
How to clean data in Excel and prepare for further analysis
Follow the steps on the add-in’s pane:
- Step 1. Click the ‘Select’ button and select the range you want to clean.
- Step 2. Select the operation:
- Trim spaces in the beginning and the end of text
- Remove all excess spaces
- Remove line breaks in cells
- Remove non-printing characters
- Change text case to Proper Case, Sentence case, lower case or UPPER CASE
- Convert text to numbers, i.e. values stored as text to number format
- Convert numbers to text, i.e. values stored as numbers to text format
- Click ‘Apply’ > Done.
Please note: the operation cannot be undone. Any formulas will be overwritten with values.
Does the Data Cleaning Office Add-in work offline
Office add-ins require Internet connection.
But check out our desktop Data Cleaning (requires installation). You can run all the same operations, and it also works offline.
Read more on the difference between Office Add-ins and desktop version.
Any questions or suggestions? Please leave your comment below.