Convert a crosstab table to a flat list
Crosstab tables, or two-dimensional pivot tables are an excellent tool to present data. However, they are not suitable for data analysis, PivotTable generation, data export to external systems, filtering, etc.
The Unpivot Table app will redesign tables quickly and accurately:
- Transform crosstab tables to a flat list
- Redesign tables even with multilevel headers
XLTools.net Unpivot Table is built on Microsoft platform. MS Office Add-ins (formerly known as Office Apps) work across Excel Online, Excel 2016 and Excel 2013 desktop, Excel for iPad, Excel for Mac.
Learn your way around:
- How to add the Unpivot Table Add-in for Excel from the Office Store
- How to transform crosstab 2D table in Excel to a flat list
- Does the Unpivot Table Office Add-in work offline
How to add the Unpivot Table Add-in for Excel from the Office Store
Download the add-in from the Office Store website, or directly from Excel interface:
- Open Excel > Insert tab > In the Add-ins group click ‘Store’ or ‘Office Add-ins’.
- Search for XLTools Unpivot Table in the Store > It is free, so just click ‘Add’.
- The add-in’s task pane will appear on the sheet. Drag and place it as you wish.
Note: you should be singed in to your Microsoft account to manage products and subscriptions:
File > Account > User Information > Sign in.
How to transform crosstab 2D table in Excel to a flat list
Follow the steps on the add-in’s pane:
- Step 1. Click ‘Select’ > Select the range of the crosstab table you want to unpivot.
- Step 2. Select any empty cell as the starting cell to place the flat list.
- Step 3. If your crosstab table has empty cells, you may choose to ‘Skip empty values’ in the flat list.
Please note: any formulas will be overwritten with values.
Done! The flat list is ready for further analysis.
Does the Unpivot Table Office Add-in work offline
Office add-ins require Internet connection.
But check out our desktop Unpivot Table (requires installation). You can run all the same operations, and it also works offline.
Read more on the difference between Office Add-ins and desktop version.
Any questions or suggestions? Contact us or leave your comment below.