Send bulk personalized emails directly from Excel interface (mail merge without Word)
- Connect to your email account via SMTP: Gmail, Outlook, SendGrid, etc.
- Add attachments of any file format from your computer
- Use TXT or HTML email templates with any personalized fields
Before you begin, add Mail Merge to Excel
– free trial gives you 14 days of full access to all features.
When the Mail Merge add-in is most useful
- Use this add-in, if you are used to keeping your contact lists in Excel. All is done directly in Excel interface – no need to switch back and forth between email, Excel, Word and attachment files.
- Mail Merge for work emails: send out invitations to partners, invoice reminders to clients, presentations to colleagues, progress reports to students, etc.
- Mail Merge for private emails: send a travel itinerary to friends and family, an agenda to parent committee members, etc.
How does mail merge in Excel work
- Connect Mail Merge to your email account.
- Create a list of recipients in an Excel table.
- Create an email template, add placeholders for personalized data.
- Click Send – and send out bulk personalized emails without leaving Excel interface!
Note: the Mail Merge add-in cannot in any way effect spam filters of any email. Ultimately, you сan not predict whether your recipient's mailbox labels (or not) your email as spam. Each email provider has its own spam filtering algorithms.
How to connect Mail Merge in Excel to your email account
Important: we cannot guarantee that the Mail Merge tool will work (or will keep working in the future) with your particular email account. Mail Merge can potentially connect to almost any email account: private or corporate Outlook, Gmail, Hotmail, Yandex, etc. However, due to strengthening privacy and security requirements, the global email standards are evolving, and email providers change their protocols towards third-party SMTP connections. If your bulk emails are mission-critical, we recommend you use a specialized service: SendGrid, MailChimp, or another.
- "SMPT Server" and "Port" populate automatically; otherwise contact your system administrator.
- "User Name" and "Password" – connect to your email account.
- Check the box Use SSL/TLS if necessary. Cryptographic protocols SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) and TLS (Transport Layer Security) create a secure link between your email server and your computer.
How to create a list of recipients in Excel
- Click the Create Mailing List button on XLTools tab.
- Check boxes for columns you want to create, e.g. First Name, Last Name.Note: 'Email' column is included by default.
- Check Attachment boxes, if you want to attach files.
- Choose whether to place the mailing list on a new or an existing worksheet.
- Click Create Done.
- Fill the table with your data. If necessary, manually add more columns for other personalized fields, e.g. RegID. The number of columns is not limited.
- Open your contact list in Excel.
- Name the columns, e.g. Email, First Name, Last Name, RegID, Attachment, etc.
How to attach files to messages in bulk email
- Open your recipients list.
- To send one file:
- To send two files:
- To send one and the same file to all recipients:
- To send different files to different recipients:
- To send no attachments to some recipients:
How to create a template message and send personalized emails
- Click the Send Emails button on XLTools tab A dialogue box will appear.
- Specify the range of your mailing list including headers.
- Type a message. If necessary, you can use a set of text formatting tools: font, color, alignment, insert link, insert image, etc.
- Or, click the Load HTML from File button, if you want to use your existing HTML template.
Note: after you click Send and until all emails are sent, it is impossible to make changes to your recipients list or your email template.
- Messages are sent one after another, directly from Excel interface.
- Email status (either "Sent", or an error indication) will appear in the last column of your mailing list.
- Find sent messages in your "Outgoing" or "Sent" emails.
Note: email delivery status is not tracked.
How does the email sent with Mail Merge look in a recipient's mailbox
- Each person in your Excel mailing list receives a personalized email.
- Each message is sent individually – a recipient will not see other emails of other recipients.
- All placeholders are accurately replaced with data for each specific recipient.
- Specified files are automatically attached to the email.
What is the sending limit of XLTools Mail Merge
Note: each email provider has own policies on outgoing email quotas, attachment size and mailbox size. Exceeding the sending limit may lead to lockdown, blacklisting, additional costs or other penalties. Please contact your email provider to find out your SMTP email sending limit.
- Free email accounts are intended for private communications and are not built for mass emails. E.g., Gmail and Hotmail have about 50-100 messages/day limit.
- Corporate email or your own SMTP-servers permit much higher number of outgoing email.
- Specialized mass email services, e.g. SendGrid or MailChimp, offer thousands messages per month depending on a subscription plan.