Learn your way around:
Version Control for Workbooks
Version Control for Workbooks
Safely manage revision history and track changes in Excel spreadsheets
- Commit versions in a click and track changes to a workbook
- Compare versions and highlight changes
- Store versions safely in a Git repository on your own PCReview change log and recover any previous version at any timeWrite queries in the intuitive editor with syntax highlighting
- Collaborate in a group and track who changed what and when
How to track changes in Excel with Version Control
- Open a workbook Click theEnablebutton on XLTools ribbon.Or:Open XLToolsSettings Version Control tab Enable.
How to commit a version of Excel workbook to Change Log
- Click theCommit Changesbutton A dialogue box will open.
- Add a descriptive comment to tell the versions apart, e.g. "Primary file" OK.Tip:before making changes, commit the original file to the Change Log. This will allow you to compare future versions with it, as well as restore the primary file if necessary.
Note:a version is only committed through theCommit Changesbutton. If you simply save the file, the version is not committed to Change Log.
How to preview and diff recent changes before committing a version
- Make changes ClickCommit Changes.
- To preview and diff changes, double-click on the modified worksheet.
- A new Temp workbook will open. The current and the newer versions are placed on separate tabs. The newer version has changes highlighted in red color.
- Review the result Click OK to commit this new version, or Cancel to go back to editing the workbook.
How to save Excel spreadsheet versions to Git repository
Important:do NOT delete, rename or move this folder. Otherwise all versions history will be lost.
How to open Change Log and see who made changes and when
- Click theChange Logbutton on XLTools tab A window with all committed versions will open.
- Review the list of versions: it displays comments, author and the exact time of committing the version.
How to compare two versions of an Excel worksheet
- Click theChange Logbutton A window with all committed versions will open.
- Expand/collapse the list to find the versions of the worksheet you want to compare.
- Select two Excel sheets holdingCtrlkey Click theShow changesbutton.
- XLTools generates a new Temp workbook. The sheet with the 'Newer' version has the changes highlighted in red.
How to restore and roll back to a previous version of Excel workbook
- Click theChange Logbutton Select the workbook version you want to restore.
- Click theSavebutton Name and save as a separate Excel file.Or:Click theOpenbutton to open the version first File Save as Name and save the file.
How to use Version Control for a shared Excel workbook
- Make sure that all your team members have XLTools add-in installed on their PCs.
- Place the workbook in a shared folder in your network Share the workbook with the team members.Note:to commit versions, team members should have reading and writing permissions. This prevents anyone outside the group from editing the workbook under versioning.
- Each member can commit and compare versions and view the Change Log.